Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Doldrums

I taped this to the front of our TV.
"M-ahhhh-mmmmm" whines the Boy, "I'm bored! Can I do something?"

"Like what?" I ask my sweet boy who is quickly turning into a young man.

 "I don't know, but there's gotta be something I can do."

"Well, you can pull weeds in the garden, clean your room, read some books for the summer reading program, color, paint, jump on the trampoline or take a nap." These are all productive ideas in my mind.

"No, thank you. I mean something fun. You know, like exploding rockets or watch TV." he says with a smile.

"Ummmm, we're not watching TV today. Didn't you read the sign on the TV?" I ask him, with a smile.

"Yeah, but I thought that we should take the sign down for a bit & watch something." he says with desperation starting to eek out in his voice. "We didn't get to watch TV until Dad came home yesterday."

"I know, it's alright to not watch the TV. We don't have to watch it just because it's there. There are plenty of other things to do. I can list stuff all day long that you can do." I can sense his dissatisfaction building up with each word that I speak because they have nothing to do with turning the TV on.

"I just don't understand!" the Boy yells in frustration. "Why can't we just watch the TV?"

"There are more & better things in life than watching that thing. There is a whole world to explore. You're not going to find everything you need for life in that box." I think that this is a great answer, than again, I'm not as desperate as the Boy.

"I learn lots of things from the TV, like nature & stuff." He's trying to make a valid point.

"Did you know that there is nature right outside that door? You can go discover something new." I try to persuade him.

"I already know what's outside. I need to learn about OTHER nature stuff. You know, like the Discovery Channel shows." he states.

"I think that you are addicted to the TV. Now go play with your race cars & tracks or go to bed for the rest of the day." I throw out my typical ultimatum.

This is an ongoing battle in our house. The TV. It beckons the children to turn it on & turn their brains off. My kids love that thing. They would watch it from the moment they opened their peepers to the second they close if you let them. I could live without it. Sure it's nice to be able to see what's on the other side of the world that we don't get to see. I enjoy watching nature shows, documentaries & history shows. I like to use it to play the Wii. That is where my love affair with the TV stops.

“Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation;" - Habakkuk 2:18

Is the TV an idol? It was crafted my man. Does it teach lies? Most of the time. Do we trust the things that are shown on it? Hmmmmm...

Now I'm not saying that the TV is pure evil. I enjoy the time I spend plopped down in front of it. The problem becomes when I spend too much time in front of it. My problem becomes when I watch TV & not wash the dishes after supper. My other problem is when I watch shows that cause me to be jealous of other peoples homes & lives. My biggest problem is when I put the fantasy box before my family's wants & needs. Ouch. 


God put the biggest nature channel right outside our windows & doors. Sometimes the simplest things bring the most joy; like when a boy finds out what happens when you take a magnifying glass outside when it's a bright sunny day! Or when a butterfly flits around the flowers. There is plenty of entertainment to be found out yonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment